2013 is coming to an end and 2014 is right around the corner. Can you believe it? I wanted to share an in-depth update of my 2013 goals and summarize the successes and failures of 2013. In January of 2013, I publicly stated my New Year Resolutions right here on my blog as a way to be open and be accountable to them. While I didn't achieve everything that I set out to achieve, I did make some amazing progress in my life. I had some major successes that have changed my life for the better, and have also had a few failures. I share them all below. Also, I've included an important exercise for you to complete before you even consider setting your 2014 goals and resolutions. Make sure to act upon it!
Watch Part 1:
Watch Part 2:
This page contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I only ever endorse products that I have personally used and benefitted from personally. Thank you for your support!
My 2013 New Year Resolutions Final Update
I'm going to list the goals and resolutions that I publicly stated in my 2013 New Year Resolutions blog post and give you a final update on each of them.
1) I will easily be 160 lbs. at 6% body fat and compete in the WBFF Fitness Model Competition on July 13, 2013.
RESULT: I didn't achieve this goal. When I committed myself to the WBFF, I had the conflict of being in a relationship at the same time. I found it extremely challenging to follow a specific diet and track calories, especially since I was more interested in having fun and going on dates with my girlfriend at the time. I found myself going to restaurants and movies, which made it very difficult to get lean and attempt to compete with. I ended up changing this goal in February 2013, just to be 160 lbs at 6% body fat. I'm now 160 lbs at around 9-10% body fat, so I still came up short on the weight/body fat side of things.
LESSON: To make sure I am REALLY committed to the goals that I set and I anticipate the potential challenges that may arise, and prepare for them. If I had a stronger WHY, then this goal could have been achieved. I also need to work on my willpower while in a relationship, and make sure that I maintain my own standards of health and fitness. I've also learned how important health and fitness is for me, and to make sure that the next relationship I'm in that the person is also aligned with me in this area.
I will easily make $10,000/month passive income on Kindle by December 31, 2013. (Successfully completed)
RESULT: I achieved this goal! This was a goal that really motivated me and something that I pushed hard to achieve. When I started having some success with Kindle in 2012, I knew the potential it had for me in 2013. I really focused on learning as much as I could about Kindle and experimenting with things on my own. Once I got down a consistent method, I began to scale it up and hired a full-time virtual assistant to run 90% of my Kindle publishing for me. Achieving this goal also helped me be able to share what I was doing with others, which started with 1-on-1 coaching, and later turned into my Kindle Money Mastery program.
LESSON: If you work hard and have the right strategy, anything is possible. The key thing I learned is making sure that you have a strategy that WORKS. Once you have that, you just rinse and repeat it. You can easily scale it up. Too often in the past I was building businesses that were difficult to scale or automate. I also learned to do things the RIGHT way and to ensure that my method is down first before I attempt to scale it up. I also had a few challenges here, where I had to remove some books because I was violating a trademark or copyright infringement, and my income dipped a bit. But overall I learned from it and it will serve me better moving forward.
I will easily buy an investment property by December 31, 2013. (Successfully completed!)
RESULT: I achieved this goal! I bought a 1 bedroom condo as an investment property in April of 2013 and have been renting it out since to a tenant. The rent covers the mortgage and expenses, which means that every month this investment is building my equity and net worth.
LESSON: Investing in real estate requires patience. I was trying to force it before and achieve it by a certain date, which wasn't the best way to do it. I also learned that real estate isn't the most “passive” investment out there. This place has required quite a bit of time to list it on Craigslist, show it to people, dealing with flakey people, etc… which was a pain for me since my time is better used elsewhere. I had a tenant rent it for a few months, but then broke the lease and I had a bit of drama. I was able to keep the damage deposit, but it was a pain and a bit stressful to rent it out again. It's all good now, but overall a lot of challenges came up that I wasn't expecting. Investing in mutual funds, or even my own business, is a better use of my money, however it's still great to diversify yourself with other investment strategies and to learn other areas. Very happy I achieved this goal and the lessons it's provided for me!
I will easily launch my first product on Project Life Mastery by December 31, 2013. (Successfully completed – Kindle Money Mastery)
RESULT: I achieved this goal! I first originally launched my Life Mastery book, which was something I wanted to do for some time. I launched it first as a Kindle e-book, then later as a paperback. It's received some great reviews since and I've had a lot of positive feedback on it. In August of 2013, I launched my Kindle Money Mastery course and it's done amazing since. It took me months to put it all together and create it, and cost me thousands of dollars to perfect it at the standard that I wanted. Overall, it was the best thing I did in 2013 and has helped hundreds of people. We now have over 700 members and it's growing everyday. I've received so many amazing messages and e-mails since releasing this, with people sharing with me how it's changed their lives or how they're now making hundreds or thousands of dollars every month through what I've taught them (or at least that's what they tell me!). I absolutely love and am proud of this product, and I continue to improve it every month.
LESSON: Launching a product isn't an easy task, but is worth it. It required me to learn a lot, I hired a coach, and I spent many late nights working on this project. I learned that if I work hard, believe in myself and take massive action – I can make anything happen! I feel these products have made a huge difference in peoples lives and it's been the most rewarding thing I've done. I've learned it's my calling to deliver high quality products to others and help people!
5) I will easily move to Yaletown into a beautiful 1 bedroom and office apartment by December 31, 2013.
RESULT: I didn't achieve this goal. I decided to take my time with this one and wanted to make sure I found the right place. I also wanted to continue to save my money and invest it, which I was able to do a lot of in 2013. I also had plans of traveling during January of 2014, so I thought it'd make more sense to wait until I got back (I'm going to Indonesia, Los Angeles and San Diego). I started looking for apartments in December and was able to find my “dream apartment”, which is a penthouse on the 48th floor overlooking Vancouver. When I went to see the place in person, it inspired me so much and I decided that I'd make it happen and go for it. Well, it came true and I just signed the lease, and will be moving in on February 1st. It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment worth 1.7 million dollars. I've decided, this is the new standard and lifestyle I want to live, and this is what I'm committed to! I've shared some pictures below.
LESSON: I learned to be patient with this goal as well. I'm so happy I stayed in my current place and waited until the right place appeared for me, as I think it's such an important decision and it's best to pick the right apartment that you'll be most happy with.
6) I will easily continue to build an amazing, passionate, loving relationship with Jessica where I am focusing on meeting her needs, being present for her, with us both growing towards an incredible future by December 31, 2013.
RESULT: I didn't achieve this goal. My girlfriend and I broke up earlier in December. Overall, it was for the best and I'm actually very happy about it. While we had great times together and it was a great experience, I'm much happier now. Sometimes a relationship can be draining, or you might be with the person just out of “convenience”. We knew some time ago we weren't the right match and the decision to break up was mutual.
LESSON: Making sure you pick the right person to be in a relationship is extremely important. When the “lust” phase ends and you aren't aligned in your values and goals, then there will be challenges. I've discovered so much about myself, the challenges that I have in relationships, and know now what I need to work on. I also have become more clear on what I want and am motivated to become the type of person that will attract the right person in my life. I also learned that I'm not ready for marriage or family yet, and there's still a lot of living and traveling I want to do. I'm still a few years away from making that kind of commitment.
I will easily go to Mexico for 1 week with Jessica by December 31, 2013.(Successfully completed)
RESULT: I achieved this goal. Had an awesome time in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and it was so much fun! We went on many fun tours, the zoo, Rhythms of the Night, horseback riding, etc… I love it there!
LESSON: Take more time off! I learned that ideally every 3 months to take at least a week off, to re-charge and get re-focused on your goals. Use vacations as a “reward” that you give yourself for achieving major projects.
8) I will easily wake up each morning happy, excited and passionate at levels 9′s and 10′s by December 31, 2013.
RESULT: I didn't achieve this goal. I wasn't happy and excited and passionate EVERY DAY, but I was on most days.
LESSON: I learned to make this goal more measurable and realistic. I don't think anyone can be happy and excited EVERY DAY. There will be some challenging days. Instead, I think a better goal would be to do my morning ritual everyday, as that's something I can measure and a habit I can build, which will lead to being happy and excited everyday.
I will easily do a 7-10 day cleanse to detox my body and increase my health and energy by December 31, 2013. (Successfully completed – Total Wellness Cleanse Review)
RESULT: I achieved this goal. I did a 10-day cleanse during January of 2013 and it was one of the best things I did. I ended up doing The Total Wellness Cleanse, which I highly recommend. I really cleansed my body of the crap that it's accumulated over years and my energy levels were off the charts afterwards! It's also a great way to lose wight, improve your skin, and heal the body of any diseases. Going to do this again every year.
LESSON: To cleanse more often! At least every year, go on a 7-10 day cleanse. Your body needs and deserves it. I felt SO HAPPY and ENERGIZED when I did this. I can't describe how this feels!
I will easily buy a Vitamix blender by December 31, 2013. (Successfully completed – Vitamix Review)
RESULT: I achieved this goal! Buying a Vitamix was one of the best purchases I've made. I use it 2-3 times per day and it's a fast, easy and convenient way to eat healthy foods. I did a Vitamix Review on my blog so you can see how I use it.
LESSON: I tend to make the same smoothies and shakes everyday, but would like to experiment more with it and do more recipes. I used it a lot and did vegetable soups and a lot of cool things when I was doing my cleanse and at other points of the year, but would like to do more fun things with it more often.
I will easily buy a new MacBook by December 31, 2013. (Successfully completed!)
RESULT: I achieved this goal! I bought a brand new 15″ Macbook Pro, which is something I couldn't live without. I used it everyday for work and run my businesses off of it. It's much faster than any other computer I've had as well (I even upgraded the RAM), and it's amazing how this device has helped me make hundreds of thousands of dollars online. I'm so grateful for it.
LESSON: Set more “thing” goals like this that can motivate me as well. I learned it's so important to ensure that I am using top-notch computers and technology, as it's what my business is run off of and can really improve my work experience and productivity.
I will easily buy a new, high quality camera and mic by December 31, 2013.(Successfully completed!)
RESULT: I achieved this goal! I ended up buying Canon EOS Rebel T4i DLSR with a 18-55mm lens along with the Sennheiser EW 112 GS wireless mic system. This has really improved the quality of my videos and I think has helped build my blog to where it is today.
LESSON: Investing in the right equipment for my business is extremely important! It really makes a difference. I really need to learn to use it better though, as I'm not an expert at making videos yet and just learn from my own experience. Perhaps a course could really help me in 2014.
I will easily buy the Omega J8004 Juicer by December 31, 2013.(Successfully completed – Omega J8004 Review)
RESULT: I achieved this goal! I ended up buying the Omega J8004 Juicer after much review, and it's been one of the best investments I've ever made in my health! I use it almost everyday and it's really transformed my energy levels. It's become an important part of my morning ritual.
LESSON: If you can't afford a juicer, sell your car and buy one. A juicer will get you further in life! Seriously, not sure how I lived without this for so long. It's improved my health, happiness, energy levels, and I even feel smarter and more focused while drinking green juices.
Not everything happened the way I wanted it to in 2013, but overall I'm very happy with the year. I achieved a lot of big goals that I set out to achieve and I feel happier and more successful than ever! 2013 was easily one of the best years of my life!
EXERCISE: I highly suggest that you reflect back over your 2013 goals and really measure where you're at with them. Did you achieve them? Were you successful? Did you come up short on a few? What did you learn from your goals? What can you do better next time? Taking the time to do this is an important process before you even consider setting new goals for yourself in 2014.
Stacking The Successes And Magic Moments
I've found it extremely important to really stack the many successes and magic moments of 2013. The more that you think back about the successes and good times, the more confident you become in yourself and your ability to set and achieve goals. I feel so confident moving into 2014, because I achieved so much already in 2013. This confidence is what will allow me to set bigger and better goals, and make things happen. That's why you want to make a list and focus as much as possible on the POSITIVE.
I'm going to list all of the top successes and magic moments of 2013 for me, and I suggest you do the same. Take out a pen and paper and write down EVERYTHING you can think of that went awesome in 2013.
Here's a list of as many things that I could think of:
- I completed the 100 Day Challenge.
- I read many awesome books, including The Noticer, The Passion Test, The Depression Cure, Enzyme Nutrition, Strengths Finder 2.0, The Templeton Plan, Driven, The 5 Love Languages, The Cold hard Truth On Men, Women And Money, and many others that I can't think of at the moment!
- I had many magic moments with Jessica and shared so many great moments, including traveling to Mexico and spending time in Kelowna.
- I built ProjectLifeMastery.com to receive over 1,000 unique visitors per day.
- I published tons of new videos and content that has helped thousands of people.
- I built my overall e-mail list to be over 22,000 e-mails.
- I consistently made over $20,000 month for most of 2013.
- I saved over $100,000.
- I booked my trip to Bali, Indonesia for 2014.
- I launched my Life Mastery and Kindle Money Mastery e-books on Kindle and in paperback.
- I invested thousands of dollars into mutual funds.
- I bought a 1BR apartment as a rental property and rent it out every month.
- I donated money to wrestler Scott Hall to help him with his hip replacement, and I received an autographed photo back!
- I donated to the St. Judes Children Hospital and Anthony Robbins Foundation.
- I lent people money using Kiva.
- I donated food to the Avalon Women's Centre during Thanksgiving.
- I gave money to the homeless and did some acts of contribution.
- I spent a lot of countless hours listening to and watching Tony Robbins.
- I attended Landmark Forum.
- I hired an internet marketing coach.
- I worked with my health/fitness coach in 2013.
- I gained a few pounds of muscle mass and got up to 175 lbs, and then later leaned out to 160 lbs at 9-10% body fat.
- I coached many amazing clients and helped them enhance their lives, make more money online, etc…
- I launched Kindle Money Mastery and have over 700 members.
- I launched the Full Disclosure membership and have created a lot of awesome content.
- I published over 100 Kindle e-books.
- I hired a full-time virtual assistant.
- I hired a customer support company to handle e-mails and help customers.
- I discovered new ways of making money online and have been having awesome success with a few.
- I bought many new awesome items, such as a lightbox, 27″ Thunderbolt monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, a Kindle paperwhite e-reader, new computer chair, Yeti microphone, Fitbit One, MacBook Pro, Canon EOS Rebel T4i DLSR with a 18-55mm lens, Sennheiser EW 112 GS wireless mic system, Vitamix blender, Omega J8004 Juicer, Sony 70″ Smart 3D TV, tons of new furniture, memory foam mattress, three new watches, awesome new clothes, etc…
- I got 22,560 downloads for my Life Mastery Kindle e-book in 5 days.
- I was interviewed by many people on YouTube, podcast, blogs, products, etc…
- My YouTube channel reached over 10,000 subscribers.
- I interviewed many awesome people and recorded them, including Gary Ryan Blair.
- I competed The Total Wellness Cleanse.
- I went to the alligator farm in Kelowna.
- I had an awesome time with my family at my brothers cabin.
- I had a fun time during Greek Easter with family.
- I signed the lease to move into a 1.7 million dollar penthouse on the 48th floor overlooking downtown Vancouver.
- I spent a lot of amazing quality time with my family.
- I connected and had many magic moments with my mom, dad, sister, brother, and nieces.
- I met a lot of really awesome people and built a lot of new friendships.
- I connected and had many magic moments with my friends.
- I learned a ton about internet marketing and improved my online businesses.
- I went through many Kindle courses and learned a ton about Kindle publishing.
- I worked out consistently 5 days per week and became stronger and more fit.
- I improved my health and energy levels substantially.
- I did a live blood analysis.
- I had some fun time with our family dog, Angie.
- I saw a lot of really awesome movies!
- I got really into foosball and I even bought a foosball table for my new place on Craigslist.
- I did my morning ritual A LOT and really improved my mindset and emotional states.
- I really learned to accept others more and not be so judgemental.
- I learned to not be as reactive when I receive negative feedback.
- I learned to be more grateful for everything in my life.
- I learned to be more present and enjoy each moment more.
- I developed a lot of awesome relationship skills and learned a ton about relationships.
- I overcame many challenges, setbacks, challenges, and become more emotionally fit.
- I developed more confidence in my ability to achieve things and make things happen.
- I received many awesome positive comments and love from people that have watched my videos and read my blog.
- I learned to be more generous.
- I successfully ended my previous company and paid off all taxes owing for 2012.
- I went shopping in Seattle.
THERE'S SO MUCH MORE. Man, just by typing this and thinking up this list makes me feel amazing. I know I'm leaving so much out, and would need to reflect back over my journals of 2013 to really remember it all, but I thought of many successes and magic moments that I haven't thought of for awhile. This is a powerful exercise, please do this now!
How Was 2013 For You?
So, how was 2013 for you? What kind of successes and magic moments did you have? I hope you did the exercise! Please, don't cheat yourself of this and make sure that you soak up as much as possible for 2013. Even if you think 2013 wasn't a great year for you, I promise you, there is still SOME GOOD in there. You just have to find it.
I'd love for you to share some of your success and magic moments here. Just leave a comment below and respond back with a few. I think it's powerful to share it with others and celebrate together. Remember, what gets reinforced gets repeated! Success breeds even more success!